When you hire a team to showcase your business online, you need to consider a few things:
- Does the developer have the skills/knowledge to make this design happen?
- Can the designer take all of my ideas and turn them into something that appeals to my client?
- How do I find a designer and a developer who can collaborate well?
Launching a new website is an important investment for your company and you need to be assured that the people you hire are the right ones for you.
I’m a web developer who works with passionate and inspired business owners like you.
That means, I can take your existing design and bring it to life or I can envision your needs in collaboration with your designer. If you don’t have a designer, don’t worry! I’ll assign one of the very talented people I work with to be a part of our team. I can start at the beginning of a project or hop in halfway through. Let me make it clear: this is your website and it is your choice.
The 4 steps to creating the best website for your business:
The designer and I need to know everything you can tell us about your business, your visual preferences, and your aspirations.
We use Basecamp to communicate throughout the course of the project. This is where we’ll share ideas and post progress. It’s also where you can provide feedback and ask questions.
Your website will be built from scratch, using the latest technologies to ensure that it’s responsive (mobile-friendly) and tweaked to perfection.
You’ll have the opportunity to interact with your site before it goes live then when it does, I’ll teach you the ins and outs of how to update your website all by yourself.
(There may or may not be champagne)
Ready to start?Let's consult
What’s included in a website package?
Website Packages always include:
- A custom WordPress theme coded so that your website looks just like the design (custom means it’s not from a template. It’s coded from scratch, just for you)
- Responsive web design (mobile-first development)
- Custom templates and custom fields so that your content is simple to edit and it always looks good
- Branded 404 error page
- Search results page on your website (typically used after someone searches from the 404 error page)
- A full review of your design to ensure website accessibility, usability, and mobile-friendliness
- Access to a password-protected beta site so you can fully experience your website before it goes live
- Research and strategic advice on the best tools and services for your business such as: payment processing, integration of automation tools like IFTTT and Zapier, membership portals, MailChimp, file transfer tools, video hosting, and where to host your website
- Google Analytics configuration
- Connection to Google Search Console, submission of your site maps for indexing
- A full review of your URLs and configuration of any redirects for links that have changed
- Training on how to use, maintain, and update your site
- A custom website guide – held on a private page of your website. This includes notes on how to use your website and a video overview with instructions
I can also help you automate, connect, and streamline everything you do with your website which will save you time, money, and frustration. All you have to do is ask.
How long does it take to make a website?
It depends entirely on your project needs. I always provide a clear timeline before starting a project but here’s a ballpark:
Design + Development: ~2-4 months from concept to launch.
Development only (once you already have a design): ~8-10 weeks depending on the size and needs of your website.
If you have a tighter timeline, we’ll build a landing page you can use as a placeholder while your site is being built. That way, your clients can still contact you while your website is under construction.
Sounds great but how much does it cost?
Custom design and development projects start at $13,500. This includes collaboration between myself and an amazing web designer.
Already have a designer? Development-only projects start at $7,000.
Wait, I still have more questions…
I’m a designer and I need a developer I can count on. Are you excellent and trustworthy?
Yes. Check out my dedicated “(I love) Collaborating With Designers” page for the deets.
I don’t live in Toronto but I like your style. Can we still work together?
Of course! My client consultations often take place over Skype so you could be anywhere in the world, as long as you have an Internet connection.
I have a website that needs updating. Can you help?
Problem solving is one of my specialties. Just tell me what the issue is and I’ll figure out a solution that works for you.
What does “Responsive” mean & will my website do it?
With web design & development, “responsive” means that your website layout is flexible and accessible. It literally responds to changes in device or browser size. Building your website in a responsive way ensures your visitors will be able to access your information easily, whether they’re using a screen reader, tablet, iPhone, or Windows desktop.
Every website I create is fully responsive. The details are built into my workflow and each page, section, and layout I create is then checked across devices, browsers, and operating systems. Ultimately the Internet is about sharing information; responsive web design makes that information available to everyone.
*There have been a lot of headlines in the news regarding Google and Responsive Web Design. As of April 21, 2015, Google will begin to penalize websites that aren’t mobile-friendly. You can find out if your site meets the requirements here.
Do you do corporate or organizational training?
Yes. I’m a huge organizational nerd and I love sharing that quirk with others. I currently offer corporate training in Lightroom, Photoshop, WordPress, and project management systems such as Trello and Evernote. I’m also happy to create custom workshops as required. If you’re looking for something not on this list, simply mention it when you Write To Me.
Sometimes it’s easier to fill out a form and here’s your opportunity. Tell me about your project and I’ll get back to you in three business days. Promise.
Please fill out the form below and I’ll follow up with you on next steps. I would love to work with you!