I’m a website developer.
But every web developer worth their weight will tell you that this job isn’t solely about the code. I’m a partner and collaborator. I co-vision with business owners and designers. I’m digital strategist and a dot connector. I’m a problem solver, a thoughtful communicator, and a think-outside-the-box’er. I can showcase your individuality and help your businesses succeed.
You can work with me in three ways:
- I collaborate with business owners who are excited about launching a new site.
- I partner with website designers to make those gorgeous static images come alive.
- I teach people how to DIY that shit.
You see more about all of those on my Services page. Or if you want to know more about who I am, read on, my friend.
How I became a web developer.
I’ve been coding professionally since 2012. Looking back, I now realize that the Internet played a large role in my life even before I knew how to code. Here’s the story: In school, I was fascinated by how people engaged online. I was supposed to be a photographer but by the time I’d finished building my portfolio website, I was hooked. Overnight, I became the person people turned to for help. I spent the rest of my time at school being the go-to website developer. Years later, I still love it.
Since I have a fine arts background, when I collaborate with a designer, I bring my training in image composition, colour theory, and art history. It may have been my plan to become a photographer but I couldn’t be happier spending my days developing websites.
Accolades & Credentials (if you’re into that sort of thing)
- BFA Photography, OCADU
- Proud member of Avery Swartz’s Web Design team
- Lead Mentor for the HackerYou Front-End Development Bootcamp Winter 2015
- 1:1 Tech Support for Camp Tech
- Lead Instructor and Mentor for Ladies Learning Code
- Photographer for the annual OCADU Project 31 auction 2014/2015
- Photographer for the OCADU Graduate Exhibition 2012/2014/2015/2016
- Myers-Briggs: INFJ
"Everyone at 1to1 is ecstatic about our new websites. Melissa has created very impressive, unique and highly responsive designs. Her front end work speaks for itself, but the backend is on another level.
Our team has experience with Word Press, but our whole team was blown away with her custom interface. Her skill and attention to detail are second to none. You can really feel her passion in every facet of her programming. The user experience is so simple, but controls many complex custom features."— Jay Turner, Chief Operating Officer, 1to1 Rehab & 1to1 Therapy Services